Saturday, September 2, 2017

My First Friend

My first friend was my brother Dave. I do not know what his thoughts were when I arrived in his life. He was not even 2 years old.

Growing up we were friends because our options were pretty limited for social events. We had each other. He let me tag along when he played with the neighbor twins. Even now when I think about it I never questioned his love for me.

My most clear memories of him were the time he shot a roofing nail into his mouth with some toy gun.."Hey Janie, watch this!" and then the look on his face as he swallowed the nail. I do not remember if there was a trip to the ER but I will always remember his face and the panic he had.
The other memory was when we moved my Mom had to drive from Curtiss Street to Osceola School to take him to 1st Grade. Every day she drove down a road and said, "I should drive through those trees at the end of the road." and we would hang over the seats and shout our dares to her. Well, my Mom, being my Mom decided one day to call our bluff and eased the car between the pine trees. Backing out she realized she broke the antenna off the car. She was horrified. We would laugh about her reaction for years.

He was there for all the major events in my life. I remember him watching me play ball when my parents did not show up. Granted he was also watching the other girls on my team but it felt like he was there for me.
We swam for hours in the Seltenright's pool, coming out pruned and exhausted. Sleeping on the living room floor with fans blowing because we did not have air. Playing with Action Figures and cardboard boxes, monopoly, and card games. Hours were spent around the kitchen table watching his friends shoot a folded up triangle across the table.  Cowboys and Indians in the backyard, racing around at twilight with the lightning bugs.
The time the other twins down the street terrorized him with a practical joke and he wanted me to go see what he saw. The time he went to see "The Exorcist" and came home and made me look under my bed.
All the times we went camping and to our cousin's houses. The fist fights in the yard, the food fights in the kitchen. The vision of Mark's girlfriend riding Dave's back while beating him on the head with a frying pan. Classic Davis chaos. The early morning Christmas moments when we took turns asking our parents if we could open gifts now? (4:30 a.m. ha!) The dancing at the weddings. The wonderful Christmas where we all stayed at Mom and Dad's to watch "Ghostbusters" on HBO. The endless laughs on the deck with family.

On July 25 he had a horrible accident at work, falling and breaking his back. Right now they are saying he may never walk. This breaks my heart into a million pieces.
But I know I could have lost my brother on July 25th.  All my memories of him would just be memories. I would never get to have another cup of coffee with him. Or watch him throw his hat on the floor and laugh about another joke my Dad has told. Hear him talk about Jesus. Have someone to share my pain of losing my Mom with. He has been with me my whole life.

And even though my heart is broken into a million pieces it still beats in my chest and my brother Dave will always be in my heart around all those swirling pieces.

Love you Cowboy!




3 comments:

  1. Oh Janie! Beautifully written! My heart is touched and broken. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your relationship with Dave. You truly have a sisterly love that is difficult to rival.

    I know you would give your right arm for him.

    Know my love and prayers are with you and your family. I wish I could say, "Rise, take your pallet and walk," and have it be so.

    I will continue to join my faith with yours, and the many souls who are walking through this with you, for a miracle. It may not come in the form we hope for, but God will show His love nonetheless.

    May your faith stay strong and your heart encouraged.

    Thank you for sharing this. It's an amazing tribute. I love you, Janie.

    ReplyDelete