Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stand By Me

In the movie Stand By Me the author says that friends you make when you are young (12, 13) are the best and you will never have friends like that again. I have always loved that line because it is so true. I also like the movie "Now & Then" because it is the girl version of that age.
My friends back then were incredible. We had slumber parties where a seance became the talk of school on Monday. ( I was kicked out of that inner circle because I laughed.. really, Abe Lincoln? could we not come up with anything better?) And what was the deal with "Light as a feather" and picking people up? Did boys do these things?
Anyway, I am heading to Maryland to see one such "Then" friend who happened to stick. We hated our brothers and shared clothes. We never crushed on the other's boy, we rode motorcycles and ate ice cream, we walked into each other's houses and looked in the refrigerators without a thought. Our Moms were hilarious and passed it on to us. You could never have a bad time with Ronda, it was simply not possible.
I wish I had a tape of our lives then, That terrible awkward teen thing... I would not do it again unless I could do it with the same friends. Ronda, Ann, Mary, Chris, Murphy, Terre, Crystal, Cheril.... that great inner circle where we fought and made up over and over again. They have the most special place in my heart and I hope I am in their's too.
We had a blast!
And since I will be with Ronda this weekend I will have fun again... because with her, it is impossible not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment