Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Can you hear me now?

Usually my high points at work are when a student remembers from day 1 to day 2 that they have a "B" in their name or how many quarters are in a dollar. My job is never really rocket science, it just sometimes feels like that at the end of the day.
Today one of our students who has not been indentified as hearing impaired was hooked up to an easy listener system that it just a head set for her and a microphone for who is speaking to her. I was called last night to hear that we could hook her up today and I was very excited.
She comes to my room to do calender with my naughty boy and I put the set on her head and talk. Her face shows every ounce of surprise she has.. she can actually hear me better! People talk about "her face lit up" and I am here to tell you, "like a Christmas tree!" It was my Annie Sullivan/Helen Keller moment. When it was time for art I had to leave the room because I had to cry for the pure joy she had sitting in a room with voices she could understand. She was smiling all day and when we went to lunch which is so noisey she kept the headphones on.
I had to call her Mom I was so excited. This is a day that I will always remember and one that makes the crazy days so worth it.
Today I so loved my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment