Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring comes

Rough day.
Headed to Rochester to see my uncle and then to the nursing home to see my aunt.
Growing up these two people meant so much to me. My uncle can spin a story and have you laughing until your face aches. He has made me laugh and cry so hard over his extreme exaggerated stories where a jump turns to a leap turns to 50 miles an hour up in the air. I love my Uncle Skip and even tho he has his faults I will always love him the way I did when I was young. He was my fun uncle and still is.
My Aunt Mary was the worker bee in the family. The oldest daughter who married and had two kids, a baby that died from crib death and a twin baby that died. Her husband returns from the service and is not the same man. She divorces and then is a single mom for many years when there were not many single moms. She re-married and after 40 years throws in the towel. (My mom was so shocked that she was not happy.. she can keep a secret very well.) She also was a great story teller. And witty and sarcastic. My Mom loved both of these people with all her heart. They were family. And you never messed with family with my Mom, she was always trying to make peace with everyone.
So it is sad for me to see them now, especially when my Mom would be the one I would be going with if she was alive.
They are old now and caught up in health and mind issues. My aunt who worked her whole life does not want anything I offer to bring, books, magazines, a Large print bible. She just sits in her chair without that sly smile and that "Oh! Janie!" when I would kid with her.
And my uncle is alone.
I cried all the way home and pulled into my driveway to see some flowers coming up. I pulled into the garage and cried. These people are my thread to my Mom and those flowers pulled it tight.
And I will love them all until the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment